The Secret Message of Jesus

I'm reading another great book, The Secret Message of Jesus. This is by far the most inspiring and spiritually challenging books I have read in a long time. As I finish each chapter, I am compelled to change the way I act, think, and live my life as I learn the authentic message of Jesus. Brian McLaren meditates and expounds upon the meaning of a curious, anachronistic term that Jesus used many times in his teachings, as recorded in the Gospels. This book is a reflection on the true meaning of the “kingdom of God. The author takes you on a journey in the past to the day and time of Jesus. There were explicit social, economical, political, and cultural reasons behind the parables and the (commonly misinterpreted) teachings of Jesus. When we understand these reasons and learn how the people in that time period would have understood His teachings, we then have a more coherent interpretation of the scriptures and can furthermore effectively apply the message of Jesus to our daily lives, living in the kingdom of God, bringing heaven to earth, the way that God intended. Being a Christian is more than "saying a prayer," joining a church, and/or having an emotional experience on Sunday morning. The kingdom of God is a way of living.

No comments: