Honest Comment

I find comfort in the following comment by Kate related to a recent post:
"Sometimes I wonder if getting bogged down in such "argument" is worth it. I find, for me, that it is better to live the life around those who are not yet followers of Jesus. So I am real around them. I swear sometimes, I get angry, I don't always understand, I make mistakes. I have found that people respond to vulnerability and reality more than words.Well, that's just me. I believe that the Holy Spirit can use every opportunity. Pray that the Holy Spirit will lead this conversation when you have it. "

Kate, the conversation with my client is great for me. We have both shared our beliefs; neither one of us experienced disrespect or discomfort. We actually had intelligent conversations about religion, God, science, the world, etc. My attempt was to display love and acceptance for her despite our differences. I really believe that this is what I should do; this person already views Christians as a bunch of "finger pointers" who believe they have all the answers. I think you have an insightful point about "being real." Jesus was authentic and relevant; he spent time with sinners. Maybe we should stop striving to get people to "go" to church; perhaps, through our own acts of love, kindness, and acceptance, we will show people a way of living which will ultimately teach people how to "be" church. That is real.

No comments: