Memorial Day


As I was preparing for the church service this past Sunday, I began to think about how to incorporate a theme related to Memorial Day because of the significance of the holiday in our culture. Initially, Memorial Day was a fragile topic for me to incorporate in a "christian" gathering because the message of Christ is against war. Nevertheless, I felt and still feel saddened by the loss of so many men and women created in the image of God and by the sorrow of the families. However, I do not totally believe that their deaths were necessary or productive. The life and teaching of Jesus is that we do not take up arms to defend ourselves. Followers of Christ give up their lives rather than take the life of another. This view is dismissed as "unrealistic," and more so on holidays that glorify war.
On the contrary, I also began thinking about the soldiers. They gave up their lives, sacrificed everything that was comforatable, and ultimately died for our freedom. That is Jesus. He sacrificed his life for our freedom; freedom from sin and freedom from a life of futility.

It is obvious that I still have mixed views about the issue. Regardless, the service was beautiful as we celebrated the sacrifice of these soldiers and the sacrifice of the son of God.

No comments: